Posting affiliate links on Instagram can be difficult if you've never done it before: post a link in your grid and it won't link anywhere, but post it in your stories as a link or use Link in Bio and you're onto a winner. In this guide, we'll run you through exactly how to post your links on social media.
Posting a link via 'Link in Bio' for Instagram
Posting a link in a grid post on Instagram just doesn't work. Instagram strips your linkability and posts it as plain text, so it just comes out as standard URL.
But fear not, Linkin.Bio, LinkTree and Later all have brilliant tools to help you monetise your available URL in your profile, otherwise known in the industry as your 'link in bio'. You know the one I'm on about: (circled for ease)
These tools allow you to create a microsite in your bio where you host links to other websites, Youtube videos or even post your affiliate links. See below for a great example of this:
How do I achieve this?
Sign up to a platform which provides this service. Our favourite is LinkTree and their base plan is completely FREE. Just what you want to hear!
They provide great guides on how to achieve this look and customise your own microsite. Read their article here.
How to post links in your story
Posting a link in your story conveys a sense of urgency, especially if there's a sale on or you accompany the post with a discount code. Here’s how to add a link sticker to your Instagram Story. (Spoiler: it’s the same as any sticker.)
- In the Instagram app, tap the plus sign
- Select Story (rather than Post, Reel, or Live).
- Create your Story using all the gorgeous media you have at your disposal.
- Tap the Sticker icon in the top row.
- Type in the URL
- Type in the sticker’s text or call to action (eg., Tap to read)
- Place the sticker on your Story
- Pinch to resize it
- Tap to shuffle through the available colour schemes (blue, black, white, beige, etc.)
- Then send to your Story, and you’re done!